Jan 06, 2020
Santa Barbara, CA, USA
Provides basic medical care for patients experiencing homelessness and enrolled in the Recuperative Care Program (RCP). Serves as the clinical liaison with Cottage Health and shelter staff. Ideal candidate will be collaborative, engaging, motivated and have a passion for vulnerable patient populations.
Monitor and provide daily insight on RCP bed occupancy while working to ensure patient compliance.
Medical Care & Patient Education
• Perform initial assessment, including review of hospital charts, dischargepaperwork, and collateral information.
• Provide oversight to on-site PATH staff delivering individualized health servicesprovided in the RCP.
• Explain discharge paperwork to patients and create and help patients execute plan for medical compliance.
• Assist patients with medication management practices.
• Coordinate with on-site Cottage Health team to write medical care plans for each patient and serves as liaison with hospital staff.
• Update patient charts in medical record upon admittance to program, during stay,and discharge from program (when this becomes available)
• Provide basic medical care and education for patients
• Maintain relationships with and serve as primary contact for home health agencies
• Screen for advance directives; set-up advance directives for patients who do not already have them.
• Connect patients to a primary care provider per patient choice
• Engage patients in utilizing medical home to avoid inappropriate emergencydepartment use.
Health Resources and Documentation
• Coordinate different types of health screenings and follow-up care as needed.
• Keep private and secured records of health related procedures and activities.
Train and Coordinate Volunteers and Students
• Assists in training and serving as a precept for volunteers and students as needed.
• Participate on related committees.
LEVEL OF EDUCATION
Minimum: Associate's Degree in Nursing [RN]Preferred: Bachelor's Degree in Nursing [BSN]
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONSMinimum:Current, non-restricted California Registered Nurse license [for RN]. Valid class"C" California Driver License. Verification of acceptable driving record from the California Department of Motor Vehicles.
Minimum:Knowledge of advanced clinical standards, practices, and procedures for managing high-risk/at-risk patient populations; Knowledge of, and skill in, the use of personal computer and related software; Knowledge of the normal signs of aging, including growth and development, and ability to provide age appropriate care.
Preferred:Fluency in Spanish. Other advanced knowledge of computers including EHR software, Excel, PowerPoint and other degrees or certifications useful in health related fields.
YEARS OF RELATED WORK EXPERIENCE
Minimum: Two years direct patient care experience in an acute care setting, or in managing high-risk patient populations in like program, or other direct patient care experience may be considered.
Preferred: Previous work with patients experiencing homelessness or Psych nursing experience. Have an understanding that most illnesses and premature deaths are the result of lifestyle choices about diet, exercise, substance abuse, violence, and risk-taking behaviors.