A GI Endoscopy Technician I, an unlicensed staff member, provides direct care to patients under the supervision of an RN including obtaining vital signs, point of care testing, stocking unit supplies, and maintaining a clean functional work environment. Exhibits excellent customer service skills at all times. Demonstrates competence in the areas of critical thinking, interpersonal relationships, and technical skills related to delegated tasks. Relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals. Is self-directed and proactive in performing a variety of tasks as indicated in his/her role and as assigned based on patient care and unit needs. Will complete competencies for all diagnostic procedures and High Level Disinfection (HLD).
- Anticipates and prepares by obtaining supplies and specialty equipment, and sets up under clean technique prior to start of assigned procedures
- Assists physician during procedures and in cleaning procedure room after procedure
- Maintains scope cleaning equipment and accessories
- Maintains stock of supplies in procedure room during, between, and after procedures, and facilitates efficient turn-over of rooms to maintain room schedule
- May assist with transportation of patients to ancillary departments or inpatient units as directed by licensed staff
- Must be able to perform the professional, clinical and/or technical competencies of the assigned unit or department; will complete competencies for all diagnostic procedures
- Performs manual cleaning and high level disinfection of scopes
- Performs vital signs such as recording temperatures, pulse rate, blood pressure, applies leads, and monitors EKG and cardiac monitoring
- Prepares patients for procedures according to hospital and unit protocols
- Reports all observed patient concerns and changes in condition to a licensed staff member–
- Actual call requirements not included in Job description will be addressed in the unit policies and procedures.
*Must be able to perform the professional, clinical and or technical competencies of the assigned unit or department.
*Note: These statements are intended to describe the essential functions of the job and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities. Skills and duties may vary dependent upon your department or unit. Other duties may be assigned as required.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- BLS Certification
- Two years of technical experience
- Clinical education in: Medical Assistant, CNA, EMT or LPN OR completion of 1-2 years nursing school
- One year of GI Tech experience