The ambulatory clinic professional registered nurse in our Surgery Clinic has the authority, responsibility, and shift accountability for the delivery of nursing care using the nursing process. The Registered Nurse (RN) accepts accountability, applies competent clinical knowledge and uses independent nursing judgment for care provided by self and by health care providers to who care is delegated to achieve quality patient care outcomes. The RN also must possess the ability to assess and interpret patient data needed to identify each patient’s requirements relative to his or her age-specific needs.
- Provides direct patient care within the ambulatory setting, based on the nursing process and within role/scope of practice.
- Preforms preliminary assessment of patients through observation and chart review to facilitate appropriate follow-up with the healthcare team.
- Evaluates unstable or complex patient care situations and facilitates appropriate intervention.
- Implements appropriate clinical decisions and demonstrates appropriate use of expert peers and/or management as applicable.
- Accepts accountability and uses independent nursing judgment for care provided by self and by healthcare providers to who care delegated.
- Demonstrates the appropriate use of standards, effective use of resources and evaluation of patient response in the delivery of patient care.
- Identifies teach/learning needs of patient.
- Responsible for educational instruction to patients and families with health care needs.
- Evaluates effectiveness of patient and family teaching and makes documentation in patient’s charts.
- Responds to/refers incoming patient treatment-related phone calls.
- Completes necessary forms (i.e. FMLA, DME, Home Health orders and obtains physicians signatures as appropriate
*Must be able to perform the professional, clinical and or technical competencies of the assigned unit or department.
*Note: These statements are intended to describe the essential functions of the job and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities. Skills and duties may vary dependent upon your department or unit. Other duties may be assigned as required.
- High School Diploma or GED
- BLS Certification
- Registered nurse in the state (Kansas and/or Missouri) dependent upon work location required
- Read, write and speak English
- Ability to understand and speak English
- Basic typing and word processing ability required
- Excellent analytical, critical thinking and problem solving skills