The Surgical Technician Restricted Call, under the direction of the Registered Nurse and the Nurse Manager, performs essential duties to assist the medical staff with the performance of major and/or minor procedures within the operative setting.
*Note: These statements are intended to describe the essential functions of the job and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills and duties and may vary dependent upon your department or unit. Other duties may be assigned as required.
• Following department standards maintains asepsis, positioning, prepping and draping, needle and instrument count, specimen care and dressing application.
• Prepares instruments and supplies for sterilization; cleans and decontaminates instruments; assists in cleaning/preparing OR suite for next case.
• Provides appropriate instrumentation to surgeon.
• Provides psychological and physical comfort measures to patient and identifies changes in condition and reports to RN/Charge Nurse.
• The restricted call position is intended to supplement the CVOR call schedule. Staff working the restricted call positions will be on call the hours listed below, and compensated for a 40 hour work week.
• Maintains unit competences; will be expected to demonstrate ability to function in emergency situations as well as knowledge of all CVOR specific cases
• Will work number of regular shift hours as determined by management to demonstrate competencies for all CV cases including transplants
All unit guidelines for call will be followed by the restricted call staff member to include but not limited to:
• Staff member will carry a pager and maintain an updated contact phone number on the unit.
• Staff member is required to arrive to the hospital within 30 minutes of notification.
• The hours of restricted call will be determined by the unit manager and unit needs. These hours are subject to change with manager notification.
• Restricted call staff will follow all hospital attendance policies. If a staff member is on-call and does not respond, the attendance policy will be in effect. If a staff member is unable to be on call due to illness,
Certificate, License or Registration ~ BLS Certification
Education ~ Surgical Technician degree
Experience ~ Minimum of 1 year of experience as a Surgical Technician may be substituted for the
professional education requirement
Experience – Minimum of two (2) years’ CVOR experience required