The Float Pool - Registered Nurse (FP-RN) will be a member of a nursing team that provides direct nursing care to nursing units within CMC. It is quite conceivable that the FP-RN may start their shift in one unit and then based on a change in census and acuity be transferred or moved to a different unit to meet operational requirements. FP-RN will provide care of the patients on the unit and will be responsible for performing procedures such as but not limited to; administration of medications, blood products, performance of wound care, catheter care, tube feedings, IV therapy, tracheostomy care, and assist patients with their personal needs. The FP-RN will provide and document professional nursing care utilizing the nursing process for patients in accordance with physician orders and established policies and procedures. The FP-RN will use professional nursing judgment to individualize the plan of care based on assessment of the patient's baseline needs and response to care. The FP-RN performs functions as noted above and with an assigned patient load, but the FP- RN is ready and willing to assist co-workers with ANY nursing support function.
All organizational staff, including this position, are specifically required as a condition of continued employment to make advance preparations for their families and pets in the event of weather emergencies such as Hurricanes and flooding threats. Any staff member can be determined as essential staff required to report to the facility during these events. In many cases this means reporting and sleeping at the facility before, during and after a weather emergency. By signing this job description, the staff member accepts this responsibility of readiness to report to work during any designated emergency staffing situation. CMC staff members operate as one team meeting the healthcare needs of our communities, thus this position will on occasion complete other duties as assigned beyond those designated in this primary job description which may include “float” coverage at an alternate facility, department, or assignment.
- Associates’ Degree (ASN) in Nursing required.
- Bachelors’ Degree (BSN) in Nursing preferred.
- Three (3) years acute care experience required.
- Five (5) years acute care experience preferred.
- Current South Carolina (or compact state) licensure as RN (SCLLR) in good standing required.
- Basic Life Support (BLS) Certification required.
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) Certification required.
- Ability to work effectively and collaboratively with co-workers, nursing colleagues, physicians, and department heads required.
- Exemplary core customer service skills strongly required.
- Knowledge of nursing theory and practice required.
- Strong organizational/time management skills required.
- Strong PC skills required.
- Strong verbal communication skills required.
- Ability to exercise independent judgment in emergency situations required.
- Occasional exposure to difficult situations involving patients.
- Stress level high due to multiple demands frequently occurring simultaneously.
- Frequent exposure to bio-hazardous materials.
- Potential exposure to blood borne and airborne pathogens.
- Prolonged standing and walking required.
Medium - While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently (activity or condition exists from 1/3 to 2/3 of the time) required to stand, sit, and walk; occasionally (activity or condition exists up to 1/3 of the time) to use hands, fingers; and frequently to talk or hear. The employee must exert 20 to 35 pounds of force occasionally, and/or 10 to 15 pounds of force frequently, and/or greater than negligible up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. Ability to hear to process instructions and safety code and alarms required. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job and will be assessed by post offer Employee Health fit-for-duty review.